Submitted by staff on May 8, 2017 - 4:02pm
Rooftop bars are the place to be in the summer; crowds flock to Quirk, Kabana and the Hofheimer building to enjoy cocktails and an open space overlooking the city. However, images from glass plate negatives in the Cook Collection show that this is not a new phenomenon. Even in the 1920s Richmonders enjoyed the spacious rooftop garden at the Hotel Richmond. The building, now owned by the state, is the new home of the Virginia Attorney General’s office…bet they wish the garden was still there.
Submitted by staff on May 5, 2017 - 9:40am
"Our Hearts On Our Sleeves" is now open at the Valentine. The exhibition utilizes the Valentine's extensive costumes and textiles collection to showcase the intersection of art and fashion. Talking more about the exhibition is Kristen Stewart, The Nathalie L. Klaus Curator of Costume & Textiles who curated the exhibition.
Submitted by staff on May 4, 2017 - 11:16am
Let's take a closer look into the Valentine's exhibition, Our Hearts On Our Sleeves, now on view through January 28, 2018. The exhibition aims to highlight the symbiotic relationship of fashion and textile work with that of the Richmond's culture. It explores the history of this relationship between philanthropist, artist, curator and community.
Submitted by staff on April 14, 2017 - 10:17am
Made up of smaller neighborhoods including Ginter Park, Barton Heights, Hermitage Road, Highland Park and more; Richmond's Northside is an area of growth and change that alludes to its ambitious past.
Submitted by staff on April 6, 2017 - 9:29am
Scott’s Addition, named to commemorate Virginia-born, General Winfield Scott, is one of Richmond’s most recent neighborhoods to be added to the National Register of Historic Places (2005). Scott’s Addition’s lush history of factories, homes, and store fronts, mirrors the the illustrious life of its namesake General Winfield Scott, who at one point owned the land that is present day Scott’s Addition.
Submitted by staff on March 30, 2017 - 10:52am
Pottery production is among the earliest of American artisan crafts. Everything needed for the production of pottery was present in Virginia-clay deposits, hardwood for firing kilns, and skilled craftsmen and entrepreneurs. In 1838, Henrico County native Stephen Booker Sweeney bought land on the north side of the James River in Henrico County, adding parcels over the next twenty years to assemble a property he whimsically named Claymount.
Submitted by staff on March 29, 2017 - 4:10pm
Tuberculosis is an ancient disease that has killed over one billion people in the last two centuries.
Submitted by staff on March 3, 2017 - 9:23am
Hollywood Cemetery has it all: Civil War ghosts, mausoleums, pyramids, and a great place to run in the morning. Founded in 1847 by Richmond locals William Haxall and Joshua Fry, Hollywood Cemetery sold its first grave in 1849. Since then, the cemetery has become the resting site of numerous historical figures. Two United States Presidents: James Monroe and John Tyler reside in the cemetery. President of the Confederacy, Jefferson Davis’ gravesite can also be found there.
Submitted by staff on February 22, 2017 - 7:27pm
A story of resilience, Ruth Clide Proffitt faced many adversaries her entire life. At the age of five, Proffitt’s mother passed away, causing Ruth to take on the responsibility of raising her siblings. Ruth would spend her life in Richmond, becoming a painter as a means of making money as well as a form of self-expression. Ruth settled in Oregon Hill which became a backdrop and focal point in many of her works. This family portrait paints the peaceful crowded, yet struggling life of the Proffitt family in their Oregon Hill home.
Submitted by staff on February 9, 2017 - 10:31am
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. Time to get your roses and chocolates together for your special someone, but don’t forget the meat juice, specifically Valentine’s Meat Juice. The love story of Mann and Ann Valentine is full of romance, money, and meat.