Position Title: Adult Programs and Tours Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Adult Programs and Tours Manager has primary responsibility for coordinating adult programs and group visits at the Valentine and Valentine First Freedom Center, the Richmond History Tours program (public and private) and the Valentine Internship Program. The Adult Programs and Tours Manager schedules interactive history adult programs onsite and outreach, college visits, special onsite programs for adult groups. Responsibilities include customer service, staff scheduling (Valentine Educators and Tour Guides), sales and reservations, program development and planning. S/he actively supports the Director of Education and Engagement and the Valentine’s marketing plan while working as an active team member in support of the goals of the Education and Engagement Department.
Reporting Supervisor: Director of Education and Engagement
Positions Supervised: Part-time Tour Guides, part-time Valentine Educators, departmental volunteers and interns.
Core Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Serve as principal contact for reservations for Richmond History Tours program (adult tours), adult interactive history program and special group visits (Valentine and First Freedom Center) and associated facility, program and equipment needs/arrangements including TAM and data entry of reservations and payments.
- Coordination of the Richmond History Tours program, including public season and private tours.
- Provide excellent customer service to customer inquiries and occasionally greets groups upon arrival and/or departure.
- Manage timely and efficient scheduling of reservations, prompt completion of reservation paperwork and payments, proactive and positive responses to customer problems and concerns.
- Provide confirmations and schedule reminders to adult groups and private tour groups and Valentine Educators and Tour Guides.
- Manage scheduling of Tour Guides and Valentine Educators, working with the Student Programs and Tours Manager
- Maintain marketing databases and assist with mailings, aiding and assisting with the promotion of adult programs and tours, based on the Valentine’s marketing plan
- Serve as secondary contact for reservations for student programs and tours, etc.
- Oversight of materials such as laptops, projectors and microphones.
- Collaborate with the Director of Public Programs to ensure that mission based programming, tours and materials are developed and offered.
- Manage development of the Richmond History Tours public season and assist with the Ambassador Academy program.
- Manage the Interactive History program (adult onsite and outreach), develop new programs and evaluate ongoing programs for quality.
- Collaborate with Education and Engagement team to offer ongoing trainings for Valentine Tour Guides and Valentine Educators
- Coordinate the Valentine internship program (promote the program, interview and place interns; conduct orientation; coordinate intern event; maintain and manage records and budget, conduct exit interviews and additional documentation as needed).
- Work with the Director of Public Programs and Director of PR/Marketing to promote Valentine programming and the internship program via social media, website and calendar listings.
- Assist occasionally with special public programs during weekend and evening hours, including but not limited to tours, scout, outreach and family programs.
- Handles unexpected problems that arise as needed (ie. Conducting occasional tours, teaching programs, front desk help, assisting with set-up of programs and tour registration)
- Communicates with Valentine Educators and Tour Guides to ensure readiness and success
- Attends staff and departmental meetings as required and special events as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in education, history, museum studies, or another related field
- 2-3 years of experience working with educational programming and/or public/private tours
- Ability to sell and promote programs to various customers and excellent customer service attitude
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks and meet deadlines
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills required
- Self-starter with ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Computer competency, particularly with MSOffice Suite (Excel and PowerPoint) and with web site templates
- Knowledge of and interest in Richmond history
- Occasional weekend and evening work
Physical Demands: The Adult Programs and Tours Manager must be able to use a telephone, computer keyboard and mouse; reach with hands and arms, speak for extended periods of time and listen. The employee is frequently required to walk and sit, as well as to lift and carry objects such as objects, boxes, books and files weighing up to 40 pounds. The Adult Programs and Tours Manager is occasionally required to stand, stoop or kneel. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and the ability to focus. The physical demands described here are representative of the requirements that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
 DISCLAIMER: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
 FLSA stands for the Fair Labor Standards Act, which was enacted by Congress in 1938 and is under Federal Wage and Hour statutes. An exempt employee is not paid for overtime hours worked. There are three categories under which an employee may be considered exempt. They are administrative, executive, and professional. These categories generally define an exempt employee as one who customarily and regularly exercises discretion and independent judgment in the performance of his/her duties.