Director of Public Relations & Marketing
Reports to: Director of Advancement
Job Posting Expires: Until position is filled
Position Title: Director of Public Relations and Marketing
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Director of Public Relations and Marketing is responsible for directing all institutional messaging and overseeing a robust public relations and marketing program. The director will ensure a consistent voice and message across departments and will develop, implement and evaluate a comprehensive public relations and marketing plan for the museum, which includes print and electronic communications, social media, media relations, advertising, promotions, and community outreach, all with the purpose of increasing public awareness of and engagement with the Valentine.
Reporting Supervisor: Director of Advancement
Itemization of Key duties:
Public Relations, Outreach and Message Development:
- Develop and oversee a comprehensive internal process evaluating all external communications, ensuring a consistent narrative and institutional voice across departments, programs and exhibitions.
- Develop, implement and evaluate comprehensive public relations and social media plans for the museum, incorporating all social media outlets and relevant communication platforms.
- Manage email database and draft regular email alerts.
- Disseminate complete and timely information to relevant news outlets.
- Manage all media relations, including: writing news releases and PSAs for museum exhibitions and events; preparation of press kits; responding to requests for information from news media, ensuring press coverage for museum activities; and schedule media interviews for the director, trustees or appropriate staff.
- Work closely with the curatorial staff to effectively publicize exhibitions, including previews, opening events, interviews and continued coverage throughout the duration of the exhibition.
- Coordinate and lead the Court End Council
- Engage with elected officials, local leaders, organizational representatives and other individuals or groups in order to promote the Valentine and educate thought leaders on institutional opportunities
- Promote the museum’s exhibitions and programs through ticket giveaways, displays, outreach events, free advertising, media-sponsored coverage, etc.
- Help develop and promote signature events that attract media attention and visibility such as Richmond History Makers, Winter Wander, Music in the Garden, Controversy/History, etc.
- Develop and coordinate the Annual Report.
- Develop, implement and evaluate a comprehensive marketing plan.
- Direct and coordinate production of the museum’s collateral materials with designer and printer including brochures, postcards, stationery, and business cards.
- Assist all departments with the promotion of programs and events through the coordination and development of print and promotion needs.
- Coordinate with all departments to ensure museum-wide consistency in message and graphic image for all external communications.
- Promote the tours program in order to increase earned revenue.
- Maintain the museum’s website and respond to web inquiries.
- Serve as the museum’s liaison with tourism agencies, with the responsibility for developing collaborations and partnerships with other community organizations.
- Produce the museum’s printed newsletter TIMELINE at least twice a year.
- Assist the Development Department with design and printing promotion materials as necessary including invitations, campaign materials, solicitations, etc.
- Determine and place all advertising commitments on behalf of the museum; design ads or commission their design; negotiate billing.
- Maintain brochure placement and distribution at area tourist and community sites.
- Manage the PR/Marketing Department budget.
- Attends staff and departmental meetings as required and special events as needed, which will require occasional evenings and weekends
- The Director will also provide support to trustees and board committees as requested.
Physical Demands: The Director of Public Relations and Marketing must be able to use a telephone, computer keyboard and mouse; reach with hands and arms, speak for extended periods of time and listen. The employee is frequently required to walk and sit, as well as to lift and carry objects such as objects, boxes, books and files weighing up to 40 pounds. The Director of Public Relations and Marketing is occasionally required to stand, stoop or kneel. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and the ability to focus. The physical demands described here are representative of the requirements that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Delivers clear, effective communication and takes responsibility for understanding others.
- Manages the process and implementation of projects and tasks in a timely and directed manner.
- Ability to maintain and improve work practices to achieve desired results.
- Ability to work independently and co-operatively within diverse teams to achieve organizational goals
- Ability to use sound judgment, recognizing how beliefs and actions fit within the context of internal and external community.
- Ability to form substantive relationships with reporters, local officials and organizations in order to achieve maximum visibility.
- Ability and willingness to look beyond the general responsibilities of the role for additional opportunities to promote the Valentine’s mission.
Summary of Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, public relations, mass communications, or marketing.
- Possess 3-5 years of relevant experience in a nonprofit, government, corporate or agency environment.
- Attention to detail and organization, and experience in project management is critical.
- Some knowledge of accounting, printing and publishing is necessary;
- Computer skills, including website development and maintenance and knowledge of desktop publishing software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience writing, designing and editing marketing materials.
- Motivated individual able to handle a variety of tasks