Reports to: Student Program & Tours Manager
Job Posting Expires: until position is filled
Position Title: Valentine Educator
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt1
Job Objective: Valentine Educators conduct educational programs on and off site in accordance with the lesson plans developed by the Valentine using high quality content and delivery. Valentine Educators will work approximately 3-9 hours per week, scheduled as needed for programs.
Reporting Supervisor: Director of Education
Core Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Professionally represent the Valentine to schools in the Metropolitan Richmond area.
- Strive to provide museum education classes that utilize the inquiry method.
- Deliver customer service with personable and knowledgeable attitude.
- Ensure security of the property, its contents, and the visiting school public (i.e. instruct students to use good museum manners when touring exhibits: no touching, no photographs, no food, no drinks, no gum, maintain reasonable noise level).
- Must commit to a minimum of 1 school program a month (September – May).
- Attend and arrive on time for all required meetings, training sessions and programs, and show commitment to the monthly schedule.
- Provide an enriching, safe, and fun environment for the students.
- Maintain resources and supplies for programs.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in History, Education, Art History, Museum Studies, or Fine Arts.
- Experience working with children and adults in an educational setting, proven ability to work with others, and strong oral and written communication skills are a plus.
- Experience teaching in a museum or classroom setting is desirable, but not required.
The physical demands described here are representative of the requirements that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to use a telephone, computer keyboard and mouse; reach with hands and arms, speak for extended periods of time and listen. The employee is frequently required to walk and sit, as well as to lift and carry objects such as program kits, tables, chairs or files weighing up to 10 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to stand, stoop or kneel. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and the ability to focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Compensation & Work Hours
- Part-time hourly position, scheduled as needed for programs.
- Wage commensurate with experience. Hours per week will vary.