The Valentine accepts objects and documents related to the history of the Richmond region. Once accepted, donations become part of the permanent collection and may be used in exhibitions, educational programs and research.
Due to limited space, the the Valentine cannot accept all objects. Determining factors include the object’s physical condition, the number of similar objects already in the collection, its rarity or uniqueness and the object’s history and use.
Collecting Scope and Criteria
Artifacts are selected for the collection based on the following criteria:
- The object must relate to Richmond region history.
- The object must fall within the museum’s mission.
- The Valentine must have the resources to properly house and provide long-term care for the item.
- The donation must be an unrestricted gift with transfer of permanent ownership.
- The acquisition of material must conform to the Valentine’s collections policies.
How to donate an object
Donations are an essential way that the Valentine grows its collection to document all parts of Richmond’s history. Objects that are offered for donation are first placed with the museum for review. Following acceptance, final ownership transfer paperwork is sent to donors. In order to assist our careful review of materials you wish to donate, please fill out the form below as completely as possible.
If you are not able to complete this form online, please call the Valentine (804) 649-0711 to speak with a member of our curatorial team.
Please do not send materials or bring materials to the museum unless your have had prior communication with our curatorial staff.