Preparing For Your Research Visit
Due to the global Coronavirus pandemic, in-person research appointments are cancelled until further notice.
Beginning December 1, 2021, much of our collection will be inaccessible until further notice due to construction on our campus. Please contact research staff for more information about what portions of the collection may remain accessible remotely.
Before you arrive, here are some hints & rules to keep in mind:
- Submit an appointment request through our Research Inquiry Form prior to arrival. Please allow up to two business days for a response.
- See here for Research Hours & Fees.
- Please be sure to alert us if you are a member of the Valentine to enjoy your free or reduced research fee!
- Due to limited space, please let us know how many people will be in your research group at the time of scheduling.
Arrival & Registration
- Check in at the front desk in the museum’s lobby upon arrival.
- Researchers are required to complete a Researcher Registration Form prior to accessing the collection.
- Before or after your appointment, check out our exhibitions, take a tour of the 1812 John Wickham House, explore the Valentine Sculpture Studio, relax in the Valentine Garden and grab a bit at Garnett’s at the Valentine (Café). Museum admission is included in your research fee!
- Lockers are available in the museum lobby to secure belongings.
- Cell phone
- Bags, purses and backpacks
- Food and drink
- Photography lighting equipment
- All materials must remain in the respective research areas of the Valentine.
- No marks or erasures may be made on the documents or objects.
- Researchers wear gloves as directed by staff when handling collection items.
- Food, drink and gum are prohibited. Please finish consuming before you arrive.
- The use of ink pens for note-taking is prohibited. All note-taking must be done in pencil.
- Pencils and notepaper are available if needed.
Photography and Copies
- Photography and copying of collection items or documents is allowed for personal and research use only, provided that permission is granted by staff.
- Lighting, tripods or other photography equipment are prohibited.
- Flash photography is generally prohibited.
- Scanners are prohibited.
- Reproductions, replica, imitation, or copies of images and/or objects in the Valentine collection is prohibited without written permission from the Valentine.