Before you arrive, here are some hints & rules to keep in mind:
- Submit an appointment request through our Research Inquiry Form prior to arrival. Please allow up to two business days for a response.
- See here for Research Hours & Fees.
- Please be sure to alert us if you are a member of the Valentine to enjoy your free or reduced research fee!
- Due to limited space, please let us know how many people will be in your research group at the time of scheduling.
Arrival & Registration
- Check in at the front desk in the museum’s lobby upon arrival.
- Researchers are required to complete a Researcher Registration Form prior to accessing the collection.
- Before or after your appointment, check out our exhibitions, take a tour of the 1812 John Wickham House, explore the Valentine Sculpture Studio, relax in the Valentine Garden and grab a bit at Garnett’s at the Valentine (Café). Museum admission is included in your research fee!
- Lockers are available in the museum lobby to secure belongings.
- Cell phone
- Bags, purses and backpacks
- Food and drink
- Photography lighting equipment
- All materials must remain in the respective research areas of the Valentine.
- No marks or erasures may be made on the documents or objects.
- Researchers wear gloves as directed by staff when handling collection items.
- Food, drink and gum are prohibited. Please finish consuming before you arrive.
- The use of ink pens for note-taking is prohibited. All note-taking must be done in pencil.
- Pencils and notepaper are available if needed.
Photography and Copies
- Photography and copying of collection items or documents is allowed for personal and research use only, provided that permission is granted by staff.
- Lighting, tripods or other photography equipment are prohibited.
- Flash photography is generally prohibited.
- Scanners are prohibited.
- Reproductions, replica, imitation, or copies of images and/or objects in the Valentine collection is prohibited without written permission from the Valentine.