Nominations Open for 2012 Richmond History Makers
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PUBLIC CONTACT: (804) 649-0711, ext. 301
RICHMOND, VA – The Valentine Richmond History Center invites any community member to nominate this year’s Richmond History Makers. The eighth annual program recognizes five everyday citizens and outstanding organizations that are making largely unrecognized contributions to communities within the Greater Richmond Metropolitan area.
The public call for nominations is May 1 – June 30, 2011. Nominations may be submitted via RichmondHistoryMakers.com. A committee comprised of graduates of the Leadership Metro Richmond program and previous History Maker honorees will oversee the nomination and selection process. The five honorees will be notified in late July and will be recognized at the annual Richmond History Makers Celebration on October 16, 2012, at the Valentine Richmond History Center. The program is presented by Dominion.
- Creating Quality Educational Opportunities – Nominee has enhanced educational opportunities for citizens, improved academic achievement, or ensured a safe, constructive learning environment
- Demonstrating Innovative Solutions – Nominee has demonstrated innovation and vision in making the Richmond region a better place to live, work or visit
- Encouraging Regional Collaboration – Nominee has endeavored to bring together regional entities to create synergy and improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Improving Social Justice – Nominee has showed a commitment to promoting diversity, access and opportunity for all
- Promoting Stronger Communities – Nominee has worked to address problems, develop initiatives, or made lasting improvements that result in stronger, more stable communities.
- Online at RichmondHistoryMakers.com or downloaded and sent via hard copy by
- By Fax (804) 643-3510
- By Mail Attn: Richmond History Makers Nomination, c/o Valentine Richmond History Center, 1015 E. Clay Street, Richmond, VA 23219
2011 honorees were (names associated with organizations were current at the time of the award):
- Encouraging Regional Collaboration – Regional Hospital Accompaniment Response Team
- Promoting Stronger Communities – ART 180
- Demonstrating Innovative Solutions – Joe Doetzer, ElderHomes
- Creating Quality Educational Opportunities – Dr. Margaret Dabney
- Improving Social Justice –Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities
The public is invited to the Richmond History Maker’s Celebration with honoree presentations and a cocktail reception on Tuesday, October 16, 2012, from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m., at the Valentine Richmond History Center. Tickets will be available after September 1st.Sponsors
Corporations and organizations that support the RHM program include (as of May 2, 2012):
- Presenting Sponsor: Dominion
- Supporting Sponsors: Altria, Inc., Capital One, MeadWestvaco
- Benefactor Sponsors: Genworth, Union First Market Bank
- Contributor: Bon Secours Richmond Health System
- Collaborating Partner: Leadership Metro Richmond
- Media Sponsors: Richmond Times-Dispatch, Richmond.com, WTVR CBS 6
Sponsorship information is available by contacting Ty Toepke, Director of Development, Valentine Richmond History Center, (804) 649-0711, ext. 302.