We welcome you to the Valentine. We are so glad you are choosing to visit! Our vision is for the Valentine to be recognized as a premier source for experiencing Richmond’s history – using its past to inform the present and to shape the future.
To make sure you have a great experience we ask that our guest follow our Museum and Visitor Policies while visiting. Our friendly staff and guides are here to answer any questions.
PHOTO, FILM AND AUDIO POLICY
- Photos for personal use are permitted and encouraged at the Valentine Museum.
- Don’t forget to tag us on a social media!
- Selfie sticks, flash photography and tripods are prohibited inside the Wickham House, Sculpture Studio or Museum without prior authorization.
- Professional photography or videography is not permitted without prior authorization.
- Video or audio recording of live programming or tours is not permitted without prior authorization.
- The Valentine Museum is smoke-free. Smoking or the use of electronic cigarettes are not permitted anywhere on the museum campus including the garden and parking lot.
BAG INSPECTION POLICY AND PROHIBITED ITEMS
FIREARMS ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THE VALENTINE MUSEUM PROPERTY.
- Food, drink, gum, candy, strollers, backpacks, umbrellas or firearms are not permitted inside the Museum, Wickham House or Sculpture Studio.
- Bags larger than 16 x 16 x 8 are prohibited inside the Museum, Wickham House or Sculpture Studio. Any and all bags are subject to inspection. Guests who refuse inspection of parcels will be restricted from entering the Museum property.
- We have lockers available to check your backpack, umbrellas or bags in our lobby, free of charge.
- Free coat check is available in our lobby.
- The following items are strictly prohibited:
- Weapons/firearms, except qualified law enforcement.
- Knives/blades longer than 3.5 inches.
- Clubs, hammers, martial arts devices, and related items.
- Flammable liquids and gases greater than 0.5 oz.
- Fireworks, ammunitions, explosive devices, and related materials.
- Paint and related marking materials; spray cans and aerosols.
To secure a safe and healthy environment that fosters inclusion, diversity, equality and respect we encourage our visitors to demonstrate courtesy to all.
- Inappropriate treatment, including threatening and unwelcome conduct, of guests or any Valentine Museum staffer, whether physical, verbal, or visual, is not permitted.
- Use or display of obscene or abusive language is not permitted.
Engaging in disorderly conduct or participating in unauthorized assemblies or protest (to include use of flags or banners) is not permitted.
- Displaying signs or distributing solicitations, advertisements, or other materials without prior authorization is not permitted.
FOOD AND BEVERAGES
- Eating and drinking in the Museum, Wickham House or Sculpture Studio is not permitted. Chewing gum or other candy is also not permitted.
- We encourage you to enjoy your lunch, snack or coffee break in our garden. Visit Ms. Bee’s Café located in our garden!
- Museum restrooms include baby changing stations.
- Breastfeeding is welcome anywhere.
- Water fountains are located outside of the bathrooms on the lower level of the
- Museum and on the 1st floor of the Museum opposite the elevator.
- There is a bathroom located in the garden area.
No dogs allowed inside the Museum, Wickham House or Sculpture Studio unless they are a Service Animal.
- Guests are welcome to bring dogs on leashes to the garden during daytime hours.
- Pet owners must stay with their leashed pets at all times.
- Pet owners must pick up and properly dispose of any waste.
- Pet owners are asked to be respectful of other guests, maintaining a safe and comfortable distance from others, and to discourage excessive barking.
- Other animals are not permitted.
Please enjoy our garden; an oasis in busy downtown Richmond.
- Please do not climb on or play in the fountain.
- Please stay on the pathways.
- There is no running, lying down, wall climbing, or tree climbing permitted in the garden.
- Frisbees, hacky sacks, footballs and other sporting activities are not allowed in the garden without prior permission.
- Aerial photography on the Museum campus by Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, or any similar remote-controlled vehicle/ flying device, is not permitted without prior approval. To apply for approval, please contact email@example.com or 804-649-0711, ext. 320.
- Museum staff often takes photographs of museum events and programs for the museum’s archives, for social media and the museum’s website as well as for promoting future programs. Please let the photographer know if you would not like your photo taken.
PARKING LOT RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Free parking for Valentine Museum visitors and members is intended as a benefit when visiting the Museum and is not to be used for daily/regular parking for purposes other than participating in Valentine guest activities.
- The Valentine lot is intended for passenger vehicles (no more than 2 axles and not more than 19 feet in length) only and should not be utilized by commercial or mass transit vehicles, buses, or recreational vehicles.
- Guest vehicles should not be parked in a way that results in the occupation of more than one designated parking space.
- Children and animals may not be left unattended for any amount of time in vehicles parked in the Valentine parking lot.
- The Valentine parking lot is intended for short-term parking only and should not be used for car repairs or washing, tailgating, picnicking, sporting activity, or habitation. Vehicles parked for more than 24 hours without prior Valentine permission may be towed at the owner’s expense (period).
- Boisterous, insulting, or indecent language and loud music are not permitted in the parking lot.
- Food trucks are not permitted to operate in the parking lot unless prior authorization has been specifically provided by the Valentine.
- Vehicles should be locked and the Valentine is not responsible for fire, theft, damage or loss of vehicles or the property left inside them.
- Violation of these policies may result in removal of vehicles from the parking lot by our towing service. Information on towed vehicles can be found by calling 804-649-7275.
- The Valentine encourages people to engage with us on social media. Any opinions expressed by users on our social media platforms do not reflect the views of the museum, its trustees, employees or volunteers.
- Social media users should be respectful. Any posts which contain abusive, offensive, defamatory, discriminatory or unlawful language or images will be removed, and the user may be blocked.
- Spam and posts that advertise or promote goods or services may be removed.
- Don’t forget to tag us on social media @TheValentineRVA on Facebook and Instagram!
We appreciate your cooperation. Failure to observe our Museum and Visitor Policies may result in denial of access. Please let us know if you have any question by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.