After Jefferson Davis’ death in December 1889, a group of men organized a memorial association to create a monument to the former President of the Confederacy. By 1899, this group had not raised enough money and turned the project over to the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC). The UDC raised funds from around the United States to pay for the $70,000 monument. In 1903, the UDC hired Richmond architect William C. Noland and commissioned Richmond sculptor Edward V. Valentine to create the statue of Jefferson Davis and other supporting sculptures for the monument. The monument was unveiled on June 3, 1907 (Davis’ birthday) with a bronze statue of Davis surrounded by 13 columns representing the Southern states, and a taller column topped by a bronze statue called Vindicatrix representing Southern womanhood.